Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

FO: mittens for me!

A knitting project I can tell you about!


I know they don't look exactly the same, and that's because they're not. I started this project, oh, about a year ago or more. The pale pink is I think Diamond Luxury silk & merino worsted. The white is some Aran yarn I had in my stash. And the Aran is different in each mitt. I improvised the pattern and made the mitts to fit my right and left hands exactly. I finished the right mitt so long ago I can't even remember when.

And then, what usually happens when I set out to knit two of something from an improvised pattern, I think "I'll knit the second right away, I'll remember, I don't need to take notes!". And then months or years go by and I have to 'read' the first thing to figure out what the second thing needs to do. This was the case here. I mean, I'm pretty sure I used 4mm needles, but I got a way different gauge on the right mitt (40st) than the left mitt (36st), and the left mitt is arguably roomier. So it's a bit confusing, they are a bit mismatched but I guess you could say it's a metaphor for me. I make it up as I go, I figure it out, I make do. They're warm and they match my pale pink Brattleboro hat from Interweave Knits Fall 2010. I love this hat, I get compliments on it every time I wear it. I would like to make more, and as soon as I get my hands on more Malabrigo worsted, I will. And while I'm at it, I'd need a second skein of Malabrigo worsted for the Shawl-Collared Cowl. Wanting a complete set, then I'd need to find some mitten pattern that uses more Malabrigo worsted...

Ok back on track. Mittens. Yes, I am so close to matching! And since winter is/will be settling in here, I need to be warm! I'm pretty excited to have mittens again. Can you believe it? In the intention of moving to North Carolina, I got rid of ALL my mittens and gloves. I know, right? What was I thinking? I mean, it turns out it even gets cold in North Carolina. So, I will plot and plan to make another full set of warm for myself... well, maybe after Christmas knitting is done.

I'm not actually doing that much Christmas knitting this year. I'm just so up-in-the-air with where I'll even be over the holidays that I feel like I can't plan. I also can't buy yarn, as I have no money. I've pared down my yarn stash so much that it could probably all fit into two shopping bags. So, for the next few weeks, I have to think very creatively about how to give some interesting gifts of my own creation with my creativity, my current yarn, beads, and other things I can dream up. There may be edibles.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! Who says they have to match? Not me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with BicraftualMe, who says they have to match!!!

    Ha! I do that same thing with any sort of note taking and I regret it almost every single time.

    ReplyDelete