Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

I'm feeling numb

Yesterday Dan received an email saying that my immigration file had arrived at the visa processing center in California.

I didn't know how to feel about this. We know that we were waiting for the third Notice of Action, and that after that a package would be mailed to me with instructions on setting up appointments for my immigration interview and health check in Vancouver. After that my green card would be printed and I'd be home free. We were led to understand that processing time was counted in days, not weeks or even months.

Then today Dan received a phone call from a very friendly immigration agent, cheerfully telling him that my file was at the top of the pile, and that this should all be settled in five months.

Um, excuse me?

O yes, this time last year processing time was about seven months, so they're catching up.

Five months.

It's already been seven and a half since I've lived with my husband. It's been almost four since I have seen him.

I'm numb. I don't believe it. I don't know what to think. I don't believe five months. That's June. I don't believe it.

What do I do in that time? Get a job? If you read my post yesterday, you know that just getting a job is not that easy. I even went into a place that said "Help Wanted" but they want help with FoodSafe and first aid and cash handling experience (I only have the latter). And they probably don't pay more than $10/hour.

So the next thing is that I need to see my husband. We need to see each other. He's going to make every effort to come here for a visit sometime in the next month. That will really help.

Something else: once we get to a certain stage in the process, we can apply to get me a temporary visa that will allow me to wait out my processing time in North Carolina. I won't be able to work, but I will get to be with my husband. But we're not there yet.

I'm numb! When I was rejected at the border, the information made contact with my brain immediately and I was sick to my stomach. Everything was churning and I spent some time in the bathroom. But now, well, I don't know. It doesn't seem real. I can't quite believe it. I feel like I need more data in order to be able to process this emotionally.

I just don't get it.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Stacey, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can only imagine how hard it is. Try and keep a positive attitude. Sending positive thoughts your way daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't imagine what you are going through. I know it's not much help....but your online friends are here for you whenever you need a shoulder!

    ReplyDelete