Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Sunday, January 8, 2012

A whirlwind trip to Vancouver

Involving public transit...

Did you know that when the ferry starts to reach the destination terminal, they start playing what I call "get out" music to get the people to return to their vehicles?

I worked at the Greater Victoria Public Library for a number of years. When it was 20 minutes to closing, someone would put on the announcement that "The library will be closing in 20 minutes" and then some obnoxious music would start playing to let patrons know it's time to get out. I called it "get out" music.

So when I heard this on the ferry on Friday, I was mildly irritated.

Today, when I was making my return journey, I was settled in a window chair with my headphones and my knitting. All a sudden I heard the loud noise of a football game. I didn't know what was going on, I looked to the people sitting behind me, was really mad that some jerk didn't at least turn down the game on his laptop or use headphones like I was, and then I saw that on the flat screen in front of the rows of seats where I was, the game was playing. BC Ferries was playing a football game and blasting the audio for everyone to hear, like it or not.

Well shit. I'm certainly no fan of football but each to his own. But really BC Ferries? If you're going to put something like that on a screen, can't you at least do what the airlines to and get your passengers who want to hear the action to use headphones? Where has courtesy gone?

I'm a bit too tired to tell you all the details of my adventures between my ferry rides, but suffice it to say that I had a great time and learned lots of stuff and saw some cool things. I'll tell you about that tomorrow and show you some photographic evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment