Mr, Cupcake at Craters of the Moon

Mr, Cupcake at Craters of the Moon
Mr. Cupcake at Craters of the Moon

Monday, June 25, 2012

the ball is in our court

We are now officially in the 'gathering of documents' stage of this visa application/immigration process.

I wish I had known beforehand about some of these documents. I would have gotten the long version of my birth certificate months ago. I would have acquired a Police Certificate from Korea long ago too.

Wait, what?

Yes, apparently I have to have Police Certificates (not sure how they are different from a Criminal Record Check but there you are) from every country I have lived in for a year or longer. Technically I was only in Japan for 51 weeks, so I don't have to do that one, but I was in Korea for a year and a week, if memory serves.

Now, to deal with Korean bureaucracy.

I don't really remember my address of when I lived there, so I don't know how they will do it but there can't have been too many Stacey Slagers in Korea, right? I will phone the Korean Consulate in Vancouver first thing tomorrow morning and see what to do next. Fill out a form? Pay a fee? Go to Vancouver?

So. An issuing of my new fancy birth certificate will cost $40.

A Canadian Police certificate will cost $50. For this I have to show up at the West Shore detachment of the RCMP in Langford on Wednesday between 12-4pm, when they do the fingerprinting.

Passport-sized photos - well, either I'll get them done ($12/set x two) or I can buy glossy photo paper for the printer and find a way to sweet talk the Skipper into getting some photos of me.

Police Certificate from Korea $?

I'll also have to pay for the health check from an immigration doctor in Vancouver.

And then I have to go to Montreal for my interview.

So needless to say I'm a bit frustrated at how the information hasn't come to us in a timely manner. However, once we have all these documents, we can submit them electronically (one bonus at least!) and then they will schedule my interview.

I can't wait to get to North Carolina and get a job so I can pay for my immigration.


2 comments:

  1. That's great news, even though it seems like one step forward, two steps back. Boo-Rah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you, my dear friend. I'm so glad the ball is rolling a bit more now. Documents are such a pain in the you know what. I'm sending all lovely thoughts your way toward a speedy ending to this for you. <3

    ReplyDelete