Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Wednesday, May 25, 2011


I hope you will indulge me, dear reader. I spend the majority of my social media time on Twitter and it seems that is how I do a great deal of communication with friends near and far. Thus, this post has another hashtag as its title.

Dan has been looking for a nickname for a while. Sometime last year he decided to start blogging again, called his blog Flounder Guts. When he saw how much fun I was having on Twitter, he signed up too and became @flounderguts. 

I wish I could have taken a photo of the fully loaded Nissan before he drove away in it, but a) I forgot and b) I wasn't there. But Dan has started tweeting with the hashtag #floundertruck, regaling us with his adventures along the road. Yesterday he reached Victoria, today he crossed the border. His first stop was to send off the petition for my immigration. Ball is rolling. Here we go.

Yesterday was a hard day. I left for work in the morning, knowing that Dan would have left by the time I got home. Cried on the way to Tofino. Then, while I was at work and opening a box of freshly sterilized suture trays, the tears came again. At one point the nurses popped in, asking "Are you okay?" to which I replied "I'm just sad". They understood. I had told them earlier that Dan was leaving. My nurses are great.

I started the day being tired, since we had stayed up late the night before, talking. It was our last night together, we were trying to spend every waking moment we could. While I was at work at the hospital yesterday, my fish job boss sent me a text, asking if I could do an offload that evening. I knew he must have been desperate if he was asking me on a weeknight, so I said yes.

On my way home from Tofino, I hit the junction (about 8km/5mi away from home on a 41km/25mi commute), and the truck started to shudder. I knew something was wrong, wondered if it had anything to do with the brakes. We had lent the Ford to a friend the week before, the brakes had seized on her. I got the truck home, sent her a text message, saying "so what do seizing brakes feel like...?" and she & her partner came over within minutes. I learned all you need to release a seized brake caliper is a gallon of water (to cool it off) and a hammer. Good friends. I was on my way.

It was a long and slow offload. When the pump broke, I knew that I would not be able to stay for the end of it, so fish boss had to come take over for me, so I could go home & get to bed at a decent hour and get sleep for my hospital job. I put in a 10.5 hour day yesterday. Both jobs required travel. I was tired.

While I was at the offload, I discovered my new friend Jason, who commented on the previous post, is a news junkie and spends rather a lot of time on the Internet. I gave him the URL to my blog, he is my newest reader. Welcome, Jason!

Dan called me from Victoria last night and I was up way too late again. The house is still completely messy and I am dying to get it clean, but I am so tired, I fear I may not have the energy to get to it until Friday after work. I host Stitch Night here on Fridays, and despite the disruption in our lives, the show must go on. Most of the furniture has left, but I'm sure we can find a way to tuck in my four knitterly friends who come regularly.

We moved here just over a year ago, and given how much our life has changed, I'm thinking a future post should be A Year in Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment