Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Monday, October 11, 2010

my first handspun


A few weeks ago when I was working at the yarn shop, Carol (a regular at stitch night) brought in her spinning wheel for me to try. She had lent me a drop spindle a few months prior and I just couldn't get into it. The wheel, however, was way more fun. Compelling. Mezmerizing.


She brought in some sample fiber for me to try. It was kind of hard not to overspin but I sure liked the look of it.



Later, I decided I couldn't wait to spin up the BFL I had at home so took the spinning wheel home with me. I made two plies, then plied them together. Here is what I got.
















Close up. They say to hang on to your first handspun, because later it will be referred to as 'art yarn' and once you've learned to spin a fine, even ply, the chunky uneven yarns are next to impossible. We'll see about that. At any rate, I'm not sure what I'll make with this, I enjoy looking at it so much! I haven't done the soaking-with-weight thing to set the twist yet but soon, soon I'll get to it. I might have enough for a hat or at least some sort of neck accessory.

1 comment:

  1. Yay! Congrats! Is that the GreenMan BFL you bought from me?

    ReplyDelete