Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dia de Los Muertos: the day of car accidents

In case you didn't know, yesterday was the Mexican Day of the Dead. It's the day where they celebrate all the ancestors and loved ones that have gone to the other side. I can't do it justice here, so really, look it up. It's way cool.

On my way to Tofino yesterday, I drove past the junction that links us to the rest of the world. There were quite a few cars pulled over and a man wrapped up in blanket, laying on the road. There were about six people around him. I didn't realize at the time but this was minutes after a terrible accident. The man was drunk and going way too fast around the corner, lost control, and pretty much felled a power pole. (I was going to stop to take a photo on the way back but felt that might be rude). It was 9:30am and when I went by the first time, emergency vehicles hadn't arrived yet.

On my way back, police cars were there, the man was probably taken away by ambulance (haven't heard yet if he lived). I hadn't seen the smushed car or the power pole when I went by the first time but this time it was WOW. How much impact do you need to push your car through and almost break a log that is 18" in diameter? Enough impact to push the front bumper of your car four feet to where the steering wheel is. I'm not really good with my car ID but it seemed like it was an 80s Buick. The era before airbags. It will be a miracle if this man lives.

The power, then, was out until 5:30 yesterday. Shortly after the power came back on, I got a call from my sister. She too had been in a serious car accident.

My almost 6-year-old niece was with her grandma, and my 3-year-old nephew was supposed to be with his mom but wanted to go with his dad instead. My sister was alone, thank the heavens. She was doing about 80 km/h on the highway when another vehicle pulled out in front of her without looking. All she remembers is saying "Oh Shit" and then the next thing she remembered is the smell of the air bags. I guess that smell made her get out of her Durango because she was worried about fire or something. She took herself to the ditch and was down on all fours, realizing that she was badly bruised.

The fellow that pulled out in front of her also was not badly damaged, though both vehicles were write-offs, he came back to see if she was okay. She was not, obviously, he gave her a hug. That was, in her words, exactly what she needed.

She was taken to the hospital (not clear on how she got there but presumably by ambulance) and checked out. Nothing broken, just bruising. Bruising on her face, her chest, her knees. The seat belt and air bag saved her life. I can't tell you how glad I am that I didn't lose my sister yesterday.

When she called, I believe she was still in shock, because she said she didn't feel that bad. I warned her that on day 2 or 3 the bruising will really settle in and she won't really be able to move, let alone go back to work (she's a dental assistant). I hope she will not be stubborn and accept any help that is offered to her. I hope she takes care of herself and doesn't try to do too much. All I can do, as the big sister, is advise from a distance. She was just so glad that her son made a big fuss about wanting to go with dad instead of mom yesterday morning.


  1. *phew!* I'm so glad your sister wasn't badly hurt. Please give her my well wishes for a speedy recovery and finding a new vehicle easily. :-)


  2. What a close call--soo scary. I'm so glad she's ok and that she was alone. Like Ursa, wishes for a speedy recovery, and thank god for airbags and seat belts.