Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Monday, August 22, 2011

RIP: Jack Layton

Earlier this year, Jack Layton and the federal New Democratic Party shocked the nation and won enough seats in the election to become the federal opposition party. I haven't been interested in politics of any kind for a long time, not really, even though I used to be a card-carrying member of the BC NDP. No one knew what the outcome of this most recent federal election was going to be, given the Conservatives' previous minority government. And then due to the intelligence, charisma, and momentum of this man, Jack Layton, the NDP basically took the province of Quebec, which was enough to tip them over into official opposition. It's the first time in Canadian history that the opposition was not held by one of the bit two - Conservative or Liberal. It was indeed an historical event.

I don't pretend to know much about Jack Layton, but I was definitely surprised to see when I looked at my Twitter feed this morning that he had in fact passed away from cancer at the age of 61. But I sure have a lot of respect for what he did for Canadian politics, for the federal NDP party, and for Canadian history. So, for what it's worth, rest in peace Jack Layton.

No comments:

Post a Comment