Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

teaching knitting, Waldorf style

Starting next week, I will be teaching knitting to three girls who are being home schooled in the Waldorf school style.

I'm not really clear about what Waldorf schools do, only that they are free-flowing, seem to have a particular focus on arts and crafts, and seem to have a spiritual side.

At the beginning of each lesson, apparently the students and teacher begin with a verse. The mum for two of the girls has asked me to prepare (find?) one. Basically it will set the tone for the class.

There are Waldorf groups on Ravelry, and I have joined one in hopes of getting guidance and support as I make this foray into uncharted territory.

I have taught people how to knit before. I have taught kids before. But I have never taught knitting to kids. I'm looking forward to this, seeing how it goes, and I'm a bit nervous at the same time. Me & little girls, we get along great. I may be 36, but I am a kid myself. I like pink, tea parties, dressing up, and making stuff. I don't spend much time with kids at the moment but that's just because we don't have any in our life that are nearby.

My sister's daughter will be six in December. I had a chance to talk to her on the phone the other day, since she wanted to talk to Auntie. We must have talked for 20 minutes and it was the most lucid conversation we have ever had. She doesn't like pink anymore, she's on to purple now because of Hanna Montana. (Who?)(I've heard of Hanna Montana, in fact HM clogs up any search I do when I'm looking for information about the state). She really liked the cardigan I knit for her last year but she has already grown out of it. She really likes the slippers I knit her too and could I please hurry up and mend them so I can send them back. She would like to learn to knit. She hopes I can come for her birthday party but I'd have to come before her birthday because her birthday is too close to Christmas. No she hasn't been reading very much because she forgets but now that I've reminded her she'll get her mom to get out the story books.

Yeah, I wish I had more time to spend with them. I only get to see them about once a year. If we end up in Montana, it will be a day's driving away.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for teaching knitting goodness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great if you were able to be so much closer to your niece and nephew!

    ReplyDelete