Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

yarnsalad gets a massage

Before Dan left, he said "I give you permission to get a massage".

And it wasn't like he is letting me do it, it was more like this is something I really should let myself do because I deserve it. I think he's right.

So last week I went to lay under the powerful magical hands of Tawnija in Tofino. I met Tawnija last year when she took one of my early knitting classes at Knits by the Sea. I had been meaning to go see her for the longest time but somehow never managed it.

View from massage hut

View of the massage hut
It was, in short, amazing. I've had many massages before, but they were all medically sanctioned (as in I got a referral from my doctor to see a Registered Massage Therapist) or by students at the West Coast College of Massage Therapy, or was aromatherapy massage in someone's home. With Tawnija, it was different. It was in a spa.

Not what most people think of when they think of a spa, perhaps, but this is Tofino. The hut overlooks the inlet that leads to the ocean.

Tawnija's hands are, in short, amazing. She is so strong and her hands can read every little creak. It had been some years since I have had a massage but I know the routine of it. I should mention here that I can't actually afford a spa massage, but T made me an offer I couldn't refuse. One day (soon I hope!) I will be able to return the favor in kind.

I had knots in places I didn't know about, was tight and had tension in surprising places. I guess I thought that since I didn't have chronic pain, there weren't many problems. I was wrong! What ended up happening is that T unlocked a whole bunch of stuff that had been solid for a while. She loosened me up with her adept hands, and sent me on my way.

The next day, I was in pain. I felt like I had been pelted. Those places that T had unlocked were protesting sitting up, standing. After three hours at work, I went home and headed back to bed, heat on my back.

Over the next few days, I noticed the activities that aggravated the places that T had found to be giving me trouble. I realized that that spot in my left shoulder had a knot in it because of the way I drive, holding the steering wheel with my left hand.

I have an arrangement with Tawnija now to go see her every Wednesday until I move. I went back today for session 2, and she tells me that she can tell the difference from week to week when people come in regularly. I sure can notice. I don't feel nearly as pummeled as I did last week. In fact, I feel relaxed. Like you're supposed to after a massage. Who knew?


No comments:

Post a Comment