Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Monday, January 3, 2011

This week: on/off the needles/hook

Bulky Purple hat with pompom
 I am going to attempt to keep up with my knitting/crocheting (yes! crocheting! me!) and post regular updates about my progress. This is inspired by Ursa over at Dyer in the Rough  who has (until the Christmas/cold season took over) been faithfully updating her blog with her progress.

  So this here purple hat came together in an evening, twice. I received this yarn as a gift for Christmas, and as soon as the gift-opening bonanza was over, I set to work on knitting up a hat. I got out my 7mm dpns, cast on 60 stitches, and went in a 1x1 rib until I ran out of yarn.

  It was fun to wear as  a beanie, but it didn't cover my ears. A few days later, I frogged it and re-knit it with the same needles, but with only 48 stitches. This time it is a much better fit, and I had enough yarn left over for a pompom, which I didn't know I even liked until now.

   This Sideways Single Crochet scarf is inspired by Amanda from Nerdy Together.  I met her on a Twitter chat last week hosted by Natalie from the Cloudy with a Chance of Fiber podcast. Amanda has an ambitious project: to create 365 scarves in 2011, and photograph/blog about them every day. January 2nd's entry inspired me to bust some of my stash, as I am in desperate need of more scarves that match my growing hat collection. This is as it sounds, Chain something like 200 stitches or so, and keep going in single crochet until you have either run out of yarn or the scarf is as wide as you want it! I'm hoping to get done this today.

  I'm calling this my candy poncho. I got this yarn from Rosemarie, who is the aunt of Ursa (above Dyer in the Rough). Rosemarie invited me to come help her destash her attic last month, I came home with several bags of yarn. As in "it's a good thing we have a pick up truck" amounts. This yarn is called Fluff, and is 80% acrylic and 20% mohair. Normally I would scoff at such a high acrylic content (if at all), but as this is my first foray into knitting with mohair (I was very afraid), and the yarn came free, I have been knitting with reckless abandon. (Actually, the other night I had some friends over who came without their knitting. Lucky I had several projects on the go I could dole out my knitting! But that's another story).  



  I have miles of this blue hemp/wool yarn. It was almost a blanket. I had three strips of 6 feet by 16 inches - the third panel was almost finished when I decided I didn't like the way this blanket was turning out, that I'm a much better knitter than when I started five years previous, and frogged the whole darn thing. This yarn's fate is to become a million dishcloths. I must confess here that I only cast on and knit a few rows of this, as on the above mentioned evening of Stacey's Knitting Sweatshop, my friend T worked the majority of this. 

  The Socks that Took Forever. Are taking forever. The black one will one day be a pair of socks with a BMW logo on it. The self-patterning will be socks for Dan. I lost my sock knitting mojo a while back and it is only now returning. 


  I am at the point where I need to turn the heel. When I have a few hours of uninterrupted time, I'll do that. 


  Then I can get going on the BMW logo. I haven't charted it out yet, but I do have the blue and white yarn for it. I'll embroider the letters on afterward; it's too complicated otherwise.

  I forgot to get a photo of the slippers, but they are in the process of being felted at the moment. They were a hard grind to get done, which almost involved tears, and may therefore warrant a separate post of their own. Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! Glad I could inspire you :-) And yes, I've fallen behind in my blogging about knitting, but not the knitting itself. I need to update soon too.

    best,
    Ursa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look great! I hope you can speedy through it as fast as you want, and send a bit of sock mojo your way for the heel. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog. The photo at the top has me intrigued. Look forward to reading and discovering.

    ReplyDelete