Mr. Noodle

Mr. Noodle
Mr. Noodle

Friday, July 16, 2010

more food

This first one is of a poached pear. I won't go into too much detail about it since My Sweety blogged about it here.

All I can say is that it was yummy. He made four and we scarfed the first one in a minute. Three days later, after sitting in the refrigerator, it was still fine.



Next was the bacon-wrapped halibut with home made tartar sauce. I have to say, normally I don't like things wrapped in bacon, as I like my bacon unadulterated.

Mmm. Bacon.

As a thank you recently we were given a whole halibut (!) so Dan worked his magic on this. The tartar sauce was made with the last of the mustard pickles. When it comes cucumber time and we make another batch, I'll have to post the recipe. (Did I post the story yet? It's a good one, I'll have to write that up here).


This was the first thing he did with the halibut. The fish was good, the sauce (curry? I can't remember) was good. But the pink stuff was (note the past tense) potatoes that were whipped within an inch of their life after having been boiled with a beet or two. Then they turned gelatinous. So for me, who isn't crazy about certain textures, this just tasted like flour. But it was pretty.



Next we have the meringues. OMG these were so yummy Egg whites and sugar (maybe some vanilla?), whipped and then baked on parchment paper. I think that's how it went. I just ate them.

The thing about meringues is that you really do have to eat them soon after they come out of the oven or they start to - well, I don't know how to describe it. They become more dense and they 'sweat'. They are still yummy, but not that light airy melt-in-your-mouth kind of feel.

The reason we had an abundance of egg whites is because the yolks went into the ice cream.

Ah, some easy comfort food. Ground beef, spices, tomato, cheese, on a bun. Quick lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment